Friday 15 May 2009

OOOOH JUNG MAN!!!

As a result of researching modern magick and pagan ritual for me movie, I ended up - through someone's throwaway suggestion - looking at the work of Joseph Campbell and the psychologist Carl Jung.

I studied Psychology at "0" level when i was trying to decide what i wanted to do, but at 18 or 19 in did not really resonate for me. Education is wasted on the young!

I also have a craving for understanding the crazy world of dreams and what came out of studying what Jung had discovered brought me onto the power of symbol and its inherent presence in our consciousness based on where we are from and what we are exposed to. Race, culture, class all having an impact upon the significance of those things we label 'symbolic'

The idea that we have inherited certain visual stimulus from times past that resonate on our current world without acquiring them through study or exposure, seemed obscure yet really hit home for me.

I have never been a fan of the sort of intellectual analysis some feel the  need to place upon art especially film. so reading about symbolism and Metaphor usually produces a huge gagging response.

However once i started to understand that symbols were not clear cut and took some detective work to really get to understand, the game was afoot.

I knew that I loved stories about heroes struggling against their flawed selves to overcome monsters both internal and external, but never really connected them with archetypal figures and events, that have been present ever since tales were recorded.

So now I am exploring my many and varied roots in a effort to tap into the things that drive me in both endeavor and the feeling of well being and inspiration brought about through movies and books

to be continued


No comments:

Post a Comment